midnight in paris by woody allen

midnight in paris by woody allen

Postby jasperjoffe » Fri May 18, 2012 1:15 pm

OK. quite entertaining, but the writers and artists he meets in the way back machine are not as clever or surprising as you would like. And usual problem the woody dialogue coming from owen wilsons mouth would have sounded so much better from mr allen 30 years ago and been better written. If only we could go back to annie hall.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: midnight in paris by woody allen

Postby CAP » Thu May 24, 2012 1:27 am

Sadly, it was more like 40 years ago now....

But yes, mostly Woody's male protagonists all inherit Woody's diction. I was trying to think of the name of the one with Michael Caine in it - was it Manhattan? ...

:?
Last edited by CAP on Thu May 24, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAP

Postby Jim » Thu May 24, 2012 3:19 pm

that was Hannah and her Sisters, which I really liked. i thought Michael Caine was ok in it.
The list of shame for Woody Allen impersonations would have to be topped by Whatshisname Cussack and by Brannagh.
Opposite end of the spectrum was Sean Penn in Sweet 'n' Lowdown (which I thought was great).
Jim

Postby CAP » Thu May 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks for the correction Jim. Yeah somehow Caine's notorious cockney diction resists even Woody's script.

But speaking of impersonations - Would that be John Cussack? (surely not Cyril) John not noted for his comic impressions...

Actually, mention of Caine and Allen in the same breath reminded me of Winterbottom's feature/TV series The Trip with Coogan and Bryden's duelling impersonations of Caine and Allen. :lol:
CAP

Postby Jim » Fri May 25, 2012 9:28 am

har har, Cyril Cussack perving over Scarlett Johansson (or whoever Woody's current 'muse' is), that i would like to see.

Apart from the unmistakable Woody Allen Schtick all the clones have to/want to ape I'm as disappointed in the horrible characters he seems to identify with, like Wilson's preppy, successful ("brilliant") chino wearing script-writer in the Paris film, in all those plush hotel rooms, bleurgh.
Jim

Return to Movies