This is 40

This is 40

Postby jasperjoffe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:13 am

Another awful Judd Apatow movie. What is fascinating, like a car crash, is the shorthand used for quirkiness, humour, love, relationships family. Where do the soulless cliches originate. Presumably in the lives of Judd and friends. Certain tropes of overly explicit (not in the sense of shocking, just telling you everything and really nothing about people's habits of sex, masturbation, shitting etc, what they are really telling you is THIS IS SO REAL) behaviour and speech are tediously repeated. Nothing need be interpreted, it's all on the the surface, no need to think. Cutesy rude children, couples meandering conversations (always going off the same track in the same way with the same tired structures and reactions), aspirations, fake problems, touchyfeely finding of self and love through contrived exigency. Puke. Worse than the films that sell fantasy, these try to confuse the matter by selling ersatz realism. Shove another cupcake in (THIS MEANS NEED).
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: This is 40

Postby Simeon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi
I enjoyed this witty review. Years ago the themes of Copeland (Generation X) man's novels appealed to me but rather as you say the labored effort to be of the now and the fake sublime make me feel awkward. This sounds like a film that wants to be a cult but very self consciously cool. If there's nothing under the surface it is destined to be ignored.
Simeon

Return to Movies