Mad Men Series 6

Mad Men Series 6

Postby jasperjoffe » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:31 pm

I still love and look forward to it, but seems a bit slow and treading over ground this time round. But sure they have some surprises too liven up don jaded chops.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: Mad Men Series 6

Postby CAP » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:32 pm

According to Charles Saatchi, absolutely nothing about Mad Men reminded him even remotely of working in an advertising agency (in the 60s or since). ;)
CAP

Postby Jiminy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:54 pm

He worked in London, i can't imagine there would be many similarities in any particular line of work in London and New York in the 1960s. Was he being bitchy? Was he implying they somehow got it wrong cos its not how heremembers it?
Jiminy

Postby CAP » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 pm

I think he was just commenting on the factual nature of the series - not necessarily a major concern in a work of fiction. Just to remind you that there is a considerable amount of drudgery that Weinstein understandably skips in his portrayal of the day-to-day workings of a big agency. Just like he skips a few basics in character and story development! 8-)

Saatchi worked as a copywriter from some time around the early 60s and visited the US then. Even by then the big ad agencies were pretty much international (like the kind Draper works for) so basic work routines would be much the same. Madison Avenue sets the template, others comply. I seem to remember episodes from an earlier series when there are British ad men involved as well, significently.
CAP

Return to Television