WHY I HATE DISNEY PIXAR FILMS

WHY I HATE DISNEY PIXAR FILMS

Postby jasperjoffe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:22 am

Watched Wreck It Ralph which crystallised a lot of things I hate about Pixar.

1: The protoagonists,in films intended for children, possess only adulty pseudo-psychological motivations like achieving status within their peer group of toys or computer game characters and eventually triumph through self-acceptance. Their thinly drawn psychologies are the crudest stereotypes lifted straight from sitcoms and romcoms and other shit tv shows and films. They are nothing but shadows of adult concerns filtered through the dumbest self-help manuals.

2: All the humour is restrained and carefully calculated to appeal to mass audiences, with lines worn away to banality by rooms full of script fiddlers. Unlike cartoons such as tom and jerry there is no outrageous violence or absurdity or mess, just whiny versions of lame jokes that might have been rejected from Friends.

3: The plots stick to time honoured character with flaw faces 2 or 3 escalating dilemmas or exigencies, with happy ending finally.

4: The animation is tediously carefully overthought and unimaginative, full of endless marketing opportunities and pop-cultural references.

5: Their only vision is how much money they will gross, not a story which actually has life, verve, humour, or originality or surprises in the slightest. They are killed by their crummy vision of children as mini-consumer adults.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: WHY I HATE DISNEY PIXAR FILMS

Postby Jimmy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:11 pm

Woah JJ, back up there. I'm guessing you're in an immediate post cinema funk. Are you viewing your film-going experience through the tinted 3D glasses of a noisy kids' matinee and a crowded tube ride in to a Leicester Square Cinemaplex? (Just wait till it comes out on DVD!)
Anyway, even if Wreck It Ralf isn't any good, you can't damn all Pixar's output, surely?
Haven't you seen The Incredibles??!?!
Maybe your criticism comes down to the fact that Pixar have to try to make films that will appeal the the children as well as their owners who have to sit through the films with them? And i think they do a good job of it.... Really, Tom and Jerry? Phooey!
Jimmy

Re: WHY I HATE DISNEY PIXAR FILMS

Postby jasperjoffe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:41 pm

No, I have had a few days to mull this. And I dread seeing anything Pixar. e.g Toy stories, nemo, cars etc ad nauseam. Not watched incredibles but sure it relies on tired sitcom family tropes without their warmth or humour or observation. Kids should have magical films which take them somewhere incredible, not these marketing led, focus grouped horrid confections.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Return to Movies