Margaret

Margaret

Postby CAP » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:47 pm

2011 dud by Kenneth Lonergan. My friend and I knew this would be a dud, but were determined to see something, for some reason. And I hated every second of this turkey. If I never see Anna Paquin on the screen again it will be too soon. The whole story is such a mess. The thing is, I really loved his earlier film, You Can Count On Me from way back in 2000, and just can't understand what happened here. It's like a first feature or student film that tries to cram in every single idea the film maker has. Over-ambition - it usually arises as a result of lack of opportunity - but Lonergan has had plenty of that. Apparently he spent four years editing this! (2007-2011). It sounds like he fell in love with his footage - a common failing for novice directors - the reason it's better to have an editor cut the stuff instead of the director - a bit of critical distance. But even just as a story or writing this thing is so unfocussed you just can't see where it's going, or what you're supposed to be watching. He also wrote Analyse This and worked on Gangs of New York, so it's not like he doesn't know about script writing or have some form. And the guy is 49 (born 1962) so it's not like he hasn't been around. Maybe he had a mid-life crisis or something. I can only think he must have had a thing for Paquin and just couldn't get enough of her. Wow what a loser.

:twisted:
CAP

Return to Movies