moonrise kingdom by wes anderson

moonrise kingdom by wes anderson

Postby jasperjoffe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 pm

anderson (whose fantastic fox and darjeeling were recent failures) overwhelms his films with twee detail and centre composed tableaux vivants, you feel his fussy touch on everything, which is like eating overly presented food. But he is capable of great magic when he lets the stories and characters free to live a little for example in aquatic life. the first half of moonrise kingdom is moribund, silly with his usual wry adult kids, and quirked dialogue, but in the second half the childish love story takes off and andersons perfectionism creates dramatic beauty. He is an interesting case, a kind of mannerist fighting himself, perhaps, to make movies.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: moonrise kingdom by wes anderson

Postby CAP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Yeah, I'll see it. ;)
CAP

Postby CAP » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:51 am

It took me a while to catch up with this one. I liked the two kids (the leading couple) - thought they were just perfect. For me this is a bit of a return to form for Anderson. I don't know how much of the script is Roman Coppola, obviously. But the whole thing feels very Anderson. There is something slightly skewed in the story-telling in the first half. Explaining how these two kids get together and decide to runaway is somehow clumsy. The rest of the cast (all A-list, notably) keep the whole thing pretty dead pan. You have to hand it to Bruce Willis - he doesn't mind going out on a limb with these little productions. And I have to hand it to Anderson for getting people like Willis, Horton and Murray.

Anderson's stuff always has that faux-naive tweeness in the story and dialogue - the flat, centred compositions just follow that up. It's like the narrations - very literary - although in this one the narrator is actually a walk-in character, which is a refreshing departure. The friend I was with thought the hopelessly romantic happy ending was a welcome change from all the grim realism and ambivalence around. I found it pleasantly diverting.
CAP

Postby TheRebel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:14 pm

"Moonrise Kingdom" is my favourite Wes Anderson film and the best movie I've seen in ages. Films as funny, charming and exciting to watch as this are rare indeed.
TheRebel

Return to Movies