Rise of the Planet of Apes

Rise of the Planet of Apes

Postby jasperjoffe » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:08 pm

Not bad, but not that amazing. The artist and writer and general genius James Franco smirks his way through it, and Frieda Pinto as love interest has as much character as a bean. The monkey is good in a digital way. The story is poorly paced, and sets up the sequel (original) in an overly obvious way, the alzheimers death of the dad is signalled with just a black tie, as though there was no time for a proper story or emotional response.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: Rise of the Planet of Apes

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:09 pm

I didn't like it. The inevitability element makes a film a dud from the start... of course the apes are going to win, it's in the title! I was disapointed with the decision to make the main sympathetic character in the film the ape, who gives a shit about apes?
The main ape wears trousers throughout the film which was kind of distracting, obviously they couldn't figure out a better solution to having his junk flying about when he did all his acrobatics. And indeed I was struck by the vanilla atmosphere in general, I would have liked to see some human arms getting ripped off and some apes getting shot, no joy I'm afraid, it was all very conspicuously non-violent.
Save your dosh and YouTube some old PG Tips ads instead.
Unk unk Nakeema.
Jim

Re: Rise of the Planet of Apes

Postby jasperjoffe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:38 am

in retro(spect) you're right Jim.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Return to Movies