the hare with the amber eyes, edmund de waal

the hare with the amber eyes, edmund de waal

Postby bookie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:05 pm

potter turns writer, auto family saga, great reviews, reprint, cracking read and bloody brilliant. 8.5/10
bookie

Re: the hare with the amber eyes, edmund de waal

Postby Jim » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:46 am

I'm reading this at the mo' and taking my time with it cos the author is doing his very best to repel me. He descends from a bunch of idle rich wasters who swan around the early part of the century splashing out their millions of fripperies, trinkets, bibelots and the odd decent painting. If I was him I'd keep it to myself. I'm going to stick with it because I think things are about to turn bad for the dossers toute suite. Destitution beckons! I hope.

More later.
Jim

Postby bookie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:12 pm

dont worry the nazis take all their stuff and kill most of them, if that makes you feel better
bookie

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:16 am

I had to give up eventually. Thanks for the encouragement bookie, but even the prospect of the nazis wasn't enough to keep me reading about what this dullard's super-rich forebears wore on a particular day or in to which room in their palace they put a particular armoire. Each to their own I suppose!

Check out the author's pots on line....

www.edmunddewaal.com

... I wouldn't have known it was possible for pottery to so perfectly embody it's maker's pompousness.
Jim

Postby Corr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm

I am so late to this, sorry. It seemed to take an age for me to get through it, and although I do agree with Jim on a couple of dullard related points, it was mainly because I was tempted away by young adult books about fairies (dont judge).

I did struggle at the start and I worried for De Waals sanity, given the information and documents he must have gone through to get the book finished but I was really interested in the lovers and affairs, the amount of comings and goings from one or the others bedroom. The things those tiny sculptures must have seen. Then of course things did turn Nazi-bad and by then I was rocketing along. Plus I'm really into collections of stuff and the sort of people who collect such stuff. I liked it.
Corr

Return to Books