Art mags.

Art mags.

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:53 pm

I will soon be deciding which mag gets my subscription dosh. I have narrowed it down to Frieze and Art Monthly which I have alternated between for the last few years. For me they are on opposite ends of the popular art mag spectrum, Frieze is kind of fun and accessible and very a la mode, but I'm put off a bit because I have a feeling the people involved are a bit cliquey and pretentious and trendy... is Frieze part of what is wrong with our world? It is also ridiculously thick with advertising, but having said that, I like the ads... so where does that leave me?

Art Monthly on the other hand is a very worthy publication, not much fun but I feel a better person for having struggled through it. I enjoy the editorial, news from the art world, comings and goings etc., but I find the articles a bit boring, a bit obscure and generally too academic. Is it only me? Which should I go for this time? Are there any ones you'd recommend that I might have missed?

(As it happens, I have had reason to email both mags on completely separate occasions in the past and I received a very helpful, friendly response from the guy at Frieze and a snotty one from the nasty man at Art Monthly. Kind of what you'd expect! Why should I support a rude magazine when I can make friends with a polite one? Feel me?)
Jim

Re: Art mags.

Postby CAP » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:11 am

I think I'd save my money Jim, and just buy a particular issue of either, if it looked really good. Same deal with the American/foreign mags. Why commit yourself to mags with manifest shortcomings?
CAP

Re: Art mags.

Postby art reviews » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:32 am

Art MAgs are shit and nigh on unreadable. Best general clever mags are New Yorker and New York Review of books. You will learn more and get more pleasure with either... and no neither are about New York primarily.
art reviews

Return to Random Stuff