The Mystery of Appearance at Haunch of Venison London

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

The Mystery of Appearance at Haunch of Venison London

Postby jasperjoffe » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm

http://haunchofvenison.com/exhibitions/current/the_mystery_of_appearance/

10 Old british boring men painters. Oddly Euan Uglow and William Coldstream come off well. Despite all the measuring mumbo jumbo uglow pulls off a great little still life, tiny and morandi like focused, and a pretty in pink nude of high colour. Coldstream's paintings have an odd anachronistic feel appealing to the disillusioned postpostmodernist. Hockney's roughness of surface is always surprising, the naked bum picture looks like its been rolled up in a cellar, he's too much a graphic designer, there is a bad freud in a box too. Actually opening sentence notwithstanding it's quite an entertaining show, as time goes by you forget the reactionary crap they represent and enjoy the paintings.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: The Mystery of Appearance at Haunch of Venison London

Postby CAP » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:33 am

Caulfied seems like the odd one out to me. Would have been better to have just gone for a 50s vibe and included people like Roger Hilton and John Bratby. Enough of this cliquish RCA shit! Hamilton seemed to spend most of the 50s taking the piss out of Coldstream and the Slade's dogged doctrine in things like Renude (1954) and his many studies for Hommage a Chrysler(1958). All that gets lost in the push to name him Father of Pop. Hilton was definitely an influence on Early Hockney. I mean if we're going to have a 'conversation' or dialogue between figurative painters of the times, let's keep it real.

:evil:
Last edited by CAP on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAP

Postby CAP » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:41 am

Coincidentally, I was just watching Hugh Fearnley-Whittingsall demonstrate how to properly prepare haunch of venison for a traditional (I suppose medievel) English Christmas feast.

Also I note the Haunch site still lumbering with all that hokey Flash animation nonsense and pissy little JPGs. That is so 2005 chaps!

8-)
CAP

Postby jasperjoffe » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:26 pm

On that note the xmas food specials have been appalling, even the normally pleasant Nigel Slater made the most revolting collection of xmas shit. Nigella also seemed to be scraping the barrel.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Postby CAP » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:41 pm

She doesn't just scrape the barrel - she licks the spoon!
CAP

Return to Art Reviews