Late Rembrandt at National Gallery

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

Late Rembrandt at National Gallery

Postby jasperjoffe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:17 am

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/rembrandt-the-late-works

Magical, magnificent show. Hard to say why. At first the gloopy paint and variable focus of Rembrandt can seem clichéd (not that old stuff again!), it takes some time to realise that it is breathtakingly brilliant painting, which he was making up as he went along. What do all these superlatives mean? They mean you must see this show in reality. For example, though not sure it explains anything, the three guys with knives (st bartholemew, skinned alive eventually, I learn from google) made me think of both the beautiful brownness of Cezanne and some slashing 20th Century painter whose name I can't remember. Still doesn't really tell you anything, analogies. There are drawing, prints, many paintings from all over the world. It's crowded, and peoples audioguides chirp away like budgies, but there are so many fantastic things to look at it doesn't matter. I'll think more why it was so good.

One negative (oh why not!) the walls are weird and intrusive.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: Late Rembrandt at National Gallery

Postby CAP » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:34 am

The review in Art Form for Frieze-frenzy week actually concluded that the Rembrandt was the most pleasureable show in town! :) Well okay, she also thought it was the least demanding, but quite she means by that is anyone's guess. She was after all only covering the art world's social pages, so I suppose she was really just trying to to show that she wasn't a mere shallow schmoozer - that she did the big museums, above and beyond the call of duty!

Nice try Linda. :|
CAP

Return to Art Reviews