vermeer and music at the national galley

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

vermeer and music at the national galley

Postby jasperjoffe » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Just a few paintings not in the national anyway. But still fascinating. Where does vermeers magic lie. There is the patchiness of projection. Of course that doesn't matter. There's pattern and sharp edges and the occasional perfect hand and the odd fluffed one. There is good light trapped hundreds of years ago. What if vermeer didn't paint some of them?
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: vermeer and music at the national galley

Postby CAP » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:41 am

Could say that about a lot of the classics - Rembrandt, Rubens, Titian, Van Dyke. There's a lot of fakes out there! But no-one wants to spoil the party....

As I understand, the notorious fake Vermeers all try to imitate his early style, vaguely Baroque (?) rather than the later camera obscura-assisted works. I love 'em all but so does everyone else so this show will probably be super crowded. He did have one really hot model and one not so hot, which has always puzzled me. Then again apparently he was a bit of a dipso, so he just might not have noticed.

I also love Terborch (or ter Borch) :D
CAP

Re: vermeer and music at the national galley

Postby jasperjoffe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:09 pm

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/vermeer-and-music

just ended. One of the points I am making is that I pay close attention because I think I am looking at a Vermeer, and am rewarded for this looking. And then I wonder if the same qualities could be appreciated on close observation of many overlooked paintings. Like when teaching, you begin to appreciate many paintings you would pass by in milliseconds in a gallery, because you look at them for so long.

Terborch sounds like an ork and the pictures look a bit dark, but that's just a cursory google. The light of day is something great in old Verm or his forgers.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Return to Art Reviews