Richard Patterson @ Tim Taylor

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

Richard Patterson @ Tim Taylor

Postby CAP » Thu May 09, 2013 1:09 am

Hard to know what to make of this brief survey, in terms of development. The older stuff was in love with soft focus backgrounds and close-ups of toys, the newer stuff goes for more collage of nudes with painterly gestures. You sort of wish the two would get together a bit more. There’s one with a cartoon cat that goes all the way into painterly but still with some masked-off photo bits and gestural underpainting which seems nearer the mark but the whole virtuoso/eclectic thing seems a bit dated now. Then there’s the sub-Glenn Brown vibe to the big figures, that hasn’t really abated. Where do you go when you make such a play of getting all dressed up? It’s a tough one. I want to see messier, murkier… :twisted:
CAP

Re: Richard Patterson @ Tim Taylor

Postby Jiminy » Thu May 09, 2013 8:04 pm

For me, this guy, just like Justin Mortimer, is a talanted painter who has nothing to say. Graduating from college when Richter was massively influential they both make paintings of photographs, skillfully but without any personal investment. I care not for their dawbings!
Jiminy

Re: Richard Patterson @ Tim Taylor

Postby CAP » Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 am

I didn't want to be totally dismissive of RP - although I have in the past - he may grow some depth at some point.... :|
CAP

Return to Art Reviews