keith tyson at pace gallery

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

keith tyson at pace gallery

Postby jasperjoffe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:45 pm

a really bad show. one of those artists whose work seems to be vastly overrated by the art market or something. and a whole bunch of the sort of stuff which i guess someone buys cos they think it looks cool, photorealism, or paintings by others which are painted over, or photos that look like paintings or something with something, images appropriation systems etc ad hoc anon. the hand, metaphorical or real, of the studio asst all over it.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: Keith Tyson at Pace gallery

Postby CAP » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:05 am

Yeah I think people buy into the comprehensive system bit - covers all bases but gets way thin in the process. We like!

Here's a link BTW.

He's always struck me as a latter day Paolozzi in some ways. Do you know those Paolozzi screen prints where he just collages all kinds of photos/graphics? Tyson is really the successor to that globalist ambition - except that he runs through a few lazy painting tropes as well. People don't seem to mind the banality because of the lofty sentiments. Look! Art and science intersecting! Look! Politics and Ethics overlap! You see! Graphics really is just the thin end of the wedge for fine art!...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Naturally he won The Turner Prize for Political Correctness at some point.... :lol:

It's like a designer's dream of what painting or art will do - as if there were this one way of putting everything in the same perspective. There was a lot of this stuff going around in the 80s actually - a kind of hyper-ecclecticism - call it PoMo. Rauschenberg for teachers. Think Kippenberger on more of a digitial tip. But not even Kippenberger would get into that kitsch poured paint 'nature' abstraction bit.

If you like that sort of thing Barnaby Furnas does it much better. :P
CAP

Return to Art Reviews