Anna Bjerger, Da Capo, at Paradise Row

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

Anna Bjerger, Da Capo, at Paradise Row

Postby jasperjoffe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:57 pm

http://www.paradiserow.com/exhibitions/73/overview/

Full Disclosure, I vaguely know both artist and gallerist.

I thought this show was a step forward for the painter, bolder and brasher than previous work. The ones that worked best were those that had overwhelming pattern, eg a woman in a patterened coat against the same pattern. The paint was juicy and the images occasionally arresting. I am not crazy about all this 'they're painting of photos', I mean who cares about the source material, it's just something to paint, but still.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: Anna Bjerger, Da Capo, at Paradise Row

Postby CAP » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Enough with the dribbles! This is teenage art school mannerism. The anecdotal (=narrative) subect matter just said The Good Life to me and "Look where I've been on my hols..." Yeah I know she got it all out of books but that's not what's actually there, in the paintings. Some dated fashions, sure, who doesn't do a dash of retro now and then. Whatever she thinks she's sampling in her sources is too vague, too bland to more than let her exercise her big brush. Need to go back and rethink the drawing, methinks Anna, along with 'the project'.

There is a lot of this around lately and I'm sniffing the same arts schools/milieu.... No like.

Lady likes the big bold brush but not where it's going to hurt the nice people and ravishing gardens. Sorry I think I'll come back when she actually finds a theme or gets a life. If this is Da Capo I CAPitulate! :roll:
CAP

Re: Anna Bjerger, Da Capo, at Paradise Row

Postby CAP » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:13 pm

At least I'm not telling her to kill herself.... :P

And this one and this one at least had a kind of Tuymanesque bathos going for them... :|
CAP

Return to Art Reviews