john cage some rules for students and teachers

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

john cage some rules for students and teachers

Postby jasperjoffe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:56 pm

http://www.alisant.net/cca/sitespecific/cage.html

true, even if a bit hippy dippy...

john cage: some rules for students and teachers

RULE ONE: Find a place you trust, and then try trusting it for awhile.

RULE TWO: General duties of a student - pull everything out of your teacher; pull everything out of your fellow students.

RULE THREE: General duties of a teacher - pull everything out of your students.

RULE FOUR: Consider everything an experiment.

RULE FIVE: be self-disciplined - this means finding someone wise or smart and choosing to follow them. To be disciplined is to follow in a good way. To be self-disciplined is to follow in a better way.

RULE SIX: Nothing is a mistake. There's no win and no fail, there's only make.

RULE SEVEN: The only rule is work. If you work it will lead to something. It's the people who do all of the work all of the time who eventually catch on to things.

RULE EIGHT: Don't try to create and analyze at the same time. They're different processes.

RULE NINE: Be happy whenever you can manage it. Enjoy yourself. It's lighter than you think.

RULE TEN: "We're breaking all the rules. Even our own rules. And how do we do that? By leaving plenty of room for X quantities." (John Cage)

HINTS: Always be around. Come or go to everything. Always go to classes. Read anything you can get your hands on. Look at movies carefully, often. Save everything - it might come in handy later.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: john cage some rules for students and teachers

Postby CAP » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:10 pm

I used to save everything. Now I've got nowhere to put anything. :cry:

Old Cagey's got a lot of pulling going on in this list. I always shunned people on the pull at art school. 8-)
CAP

Return to Art Reviews