chris ofili and peter doig in london again

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

chris ofili and peter doig in london again

Postby jasperjoffe » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:45 am

These guys are two of the best painters of the modern generation. London trained and feted, they decided to move to Trinidad. A bold move to get away from the madding crowd and sycophantic chatter I'd imagine. I was interested to see whether the relocation has helped them paint better, with more freedom, or moved their work on.

Their respective shows at Werner and Miro are inconclusive, but I'd say that the answer is basically no. Doigs work at werner http://www.worldwidereview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81037 looks a bit like it's trying to hard to be serious, and Ofili's show at Miro is just a bunch of preparatory work with a huge but insignificant painting thown in. Where's the major series? The National Gallery ballet paintings were ok, but looked also tentative, but at least offered a glimpse of change in his work, with their matissey forms, weird colours, and escape from pattern.

I am sure it's nice living somewhere else but perhaps London's grim pressure and bustle hurries the artist along to their goal of greatness, Freud managed to hardly leave the place and get on with quite a lot of work, come back guys, London will help you forward!
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: chris ofili and peter doig in london again

Postby .Jim » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:35 am

London's not that nice.
.Jim

Postby limone » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am

You are just bitter JJ.
limone

Postby CAP » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:59 pm

I suspect Doig's best work is behind him.

Chris has promise as a designer.

:roll:
CAP

post script doig

Postby jasperjoffe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Doigs table tennis painting on show at the Tate I liked a lot, better example, or different context, its odd bisection by the table and wavy background trees glowed.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Postby bobby dazzler » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:48 pm

but wouldnt the poor fellows have to stump up lots of their hard earned shillings in tax if they re-located to this grim metropolis?
bobby dazzler

Return to Art Reviews