Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

degas at royal academy

Postby jasperjoffe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Too dark to see properly :roll:
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: degas at royal academy

Postby CAP » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:38 am

Haven't been but I think I know the feeling. Was this one of those shows where the lighting is so low the pictures are reduuced to yellow blurs? It's more like trying to look at pictures by candlelight (and birthday cake candles at that).

I've had some terrible viewing experiences - particularly with big travelling shows - of the insurance/conservator's idea of 'safe' lighting for their masterpieces reducing the whole thing to a pointless gloom. For some reason they confuse colour temperature with luminance! So that you end up with a very red or yellow light (slow end of spectrum) completely distorting a painting's luminance AND colour balance! And not just, say, Renaissance or Medievel stuff - even contemporary photographyy gets given the 'coal mine' treatment by insurers. In the end you're better off looking at reproductions in a good book - at least the photographers for repros actually know what they're doing!

:?
CAP

Re: degas at royal academy

Postby jasperjoffe » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:33 am

yes, this one was really really dark, I couldn't face squinting, I wonder whether it was a curatorial decision, like the ballet, gettit?
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Return to Art Reviews