david shrigley at stephen friedman

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

david shrigley at stephen friedman

Postby jasperjoffe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:45 pm

gosh gsoh. but this might be a good question, what sort of art do you need to see in galleries, not cartoons, they are better in the new yorker. I don't get the need to see these live.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: david shrigley at stephen friedman

Postby CAP » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:58 am

The bombs were cute - but building a whole show around them? Shriggsie get a grip. This is strictly a (small) group show idea for the curator with a political conscience.

Next @ Friedman:

The Li Tianbing show didn't do it for me either. This is slick and sentimental tosh. It's all about Chinese trade and appeasement. And for those that want to see it as a witty reflection of Western colonialism - welcome to the slave market and Opium Wars IV. Go back to your playstations. I will signal when we're ready. :ugeek:
Last edited by CAP on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAP

Postby jasperjoffe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Li Tianbing, which I havent seen in realish life, look like the worst kitsch chinese style painting
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Postby CAP » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:43 pm

I've toyed with giving myself a fake Chinese name (Fuk Yu?) and knocking out this formulaic Sino-the-times crappola just to prove a point. But could I live with myself? Well no one else can. But would I make a bob? Probably not. These big time Western shows are basically about validating the brand back home, which is where Li and his backers are really planning to shift units. Rumour has it such shows (here and in NYC - and not just with this guy) are heavily 'subsidised' (i.e. bought from the gallery) where the Chinese market feels confident of a kill back on the mainland, given a nod from the West's culture brokers.

:lol:

But honestly, I sometimes wonder what gets into Steve with his choices. Some I can understand, some seem shrewd or inspired. But others are no more than place-holders. I mean Mamma Anderson - WTF! The old photo-trace and fill with scrubby brushwork plumbs new depths there and the lady's built a whole career on these 15 minute knockoffs. But really - enough is enough. The fem dumbed-down idea of 'painting' has passed its use-by date (which was about 2005) and needs to be laid to rest.

8-)
CAP

Postby CAP » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:16 pm

And then there's Shriggsie at The Hayward....

:mrgreen:
CAP

Return to Art Reviews