Cezanne at The Courtauld

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

Cezanne at The Courtauld

Postby jasperjoffe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Cezanne leaves the canvas showing through in places, as though to say here is how a painting begins, he fills up his wonky figures with brushwork to show you the end. In the middle there is Cezanne rhyming marks and shapes and scribbles, like Van Gogh getting paintings to do what drawing can, keep all its touches on the surface.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: Cezanne at The Courtauld

Postby CAP » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:46 am

Apparently it's Cezanne's 172nd birthday today and Google are marking the occasion with a Cezanne-inspired graphic.
:oops:
If you missed it, it looked like this. It's a kind of rebus thing with the objects forming the letters of Google, as usual. Sigh. :cry:

I should have been able to post an IMG there JJ, but for some reason Photobucket tell me the image has moved or been deleted.
Although, clearly the URL is still valid.... Hmmm...
CAP

Re: Cezanne at The Courtauld

Postby CAP » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:57 am

So anyway, months later, there's an interesting article on Cezanne in the summer edition of Art Forum (pp. 88-90, 2011) where Yale Professor Carol Armstrong makes the case for contemporary interest in the artist. No mention of the Courtauld show, surprisingly, or maybe not, it is a very NY-centric mag, after all. But some good points raised about art history there, to which I replied in their Talkback section of the AF website (here).

;)
CAP

Return to Art Reviews