Gary Hume at White Cube Hoxton 2012

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

Gary Hume at White Cube Hoxton 2012

Postby jasperjoffe » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Ridges a bit like Tomma Abts. Hume has a way with shapes. But these paintings are nearly entirely devoid of interest. Harsh to say it. But you really do feel there is nothing there, at least I did on a Friday afternoon. All these intelligent talented people making art, it must be really hard, for it to be so bad most of the time. Or maybe bad is the wrong word, just not good art, and kind of pleasant decoration which you can have a few thoughts about if you try. What's wrong with that?
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Re: Gary Hume at White Cube Hoxton 2012

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:15 pm

i haven't seen the show cos i'm not in london but looking online i must agree the painings look very boring. And i think they look their best in the context of the gallery... imagine how much more crap they would look anywhere else.
I liked his show in the Whitechapel about 12 years ago but I don't rate my then-judgement much now.
Jim

Postby CAP » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:31 am

Even in the 90s I sussed Hume was pretty much a one-trick pony. There is no deep and radical agenda here. Gaz is shallow as. It's actually very traditional, very English - and not in a good way. His obsession with finish and technique over content might have disposed him to greater abstraction but Hume is really into the decorative, the slick and pat or familiar. When he started doing the outline things (late 90s? - I remember them best from his Venice-Bi in 99) I thought it can only be a matter of time before he turns into a 21st Century Patrick Caulfied. But Pat was actually up for the drawing and stylistic nuance, a sophisticated colour sense. Caulfield's are witty, if nothing else. But Hume doesn't get any further than tracing and those little ridges - engineered with wire or something - a tepid nod to the 3D or sculptural - doing nothing for the triteness of design, the triviality of the content.

Birds and bleeding flowers? You're out of your depth Gaz. :twisted:
CAP

Postby jasperjoffe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:40 am

Interesting how Alex Katz seems to do what both Hockney and Hume are trying to do, better.
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Postby CAP » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:51 pm

More on Hume.
CAP

Return to Art Reviews