John Stezaker at the whitechapel gallery

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

John Stezaker at the whitechapel gallery

Postby art reviews » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:27 pm

The stez's career is schizo. He's gone from being well loved moustached royal college tutor in humanities to wildly sucessful international superstar artist. Huh? Hope for all us losers, I guess. I remembered feeling slightly bored by his collages, but thought I should take another look now he has been widely proclaimed a cut and paste (fold) genius. Yeh. They look good, make nice decoration for rich people, but they all rely on exactly the same device, seen one or two, seen em all, joins two images, and he makes a line from photo, say the edge of a leg, joins up with a line in the other photo, and you get a weird surreal effect. Either that he takes a square and puts that in another photo. Ok, simplicity is genius, and for example, a kebab roll has a certain sort of genius, but I don't really want to eat it all the time, but a whole whitechapel full of stezs is meant to get us going.

Upstairs as though to further make us hate art, or appreciate the monotony downstairs, we have a raised floor by the world's most pointless artist Bethan Huws, and some string by twee RIchard Wentworth, to complete the feeling that art really is a waste of time is Mona Hatoum's lightbulbs in mesh, a cartoon of installation art. Anyone got an idea of what to do now with this thing called art?
art reviews

Re: John Stezaker at the whitechapel gallery

Postby CAP » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:47 am

Yeah I'm sort of fascinted how the Stez finally made the cut. In the age of Photoshop and morphing (mightily! rangers!) this stuff looks flat footed, luddite.

I think it's a kind of camp thing, on reflection. The old Hollywood sirens give it away a bit. Cherchez the homo insiders! :o
CAP

Postby jasperjoffe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:08 pm

Youre just jealous!
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Postby CAP » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:33 pm

True, but in a good way.
:twisted:
CAP

Return to Art Reviews