Waiting for Godot, St Paul's School, circa 1997

Contemporary and Old Art Reviews

Waiting for Godot, St Paul's School, circa 1997

Postby JohnnyGuitar » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:29 pm

When I watched Waiting for Godot I actually left during the interval and never returned. Myself and my slightly unsure companion. We went to the Rutland and drank cider and then fucked right off. Fuck Godot, we said. We really sussed that play. Reading the wikipedia entry about it (the play) I can see this fact.
JohnnyGuitar

Re: Waiting for Godot, St Paul's School, circa 1997

Postby CAP » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm inclined that way about most theatre. :x

Although I still go...
Last edited by CAP on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAP

Postby Astrid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:04 am

Waiting For Godot is an incredible play. The relationship of the two main characters keeps changing. One minute they are father and son, then they are brothers, then are a double act, then they are rivals etc. It's a play full of great ideas, great jokes and great quotes. I can't go on with this review...
Astrid

Postby JohnnyGuitar » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Astrid, don't misunderstand my somewhat codified and perhaps even prentious review. I mean look at the two characters I include in my review, itself a little story, an echo of the play. At the same time as mocking the play I was just offering up respect in my own (satirical) way. To be honest the reason we left was surely because the acting must have been abundantly bad. I think the director was a chap named Mark Rosenblatt who is now very famous and puts on religious worship ceremony type theatre, I gather. He was a friend of mine and I was just cussing down his pathetic lack of ability to direct right and proper. No offense to Becket. There's a great place on "The Cut" in Waterloo, amidst where men such as shakespeare and milton spent many days chilling. This place has soirees of existentialist theatre. Beckett himself used to hang out there. Check it out. I will be going one day, I'm sure. Anyway, Beckett is dead, so he can't sit there explaining his misunderstood words to each, but I'm here, time on hands, and too vain to let it go if someone thinks I was doing something I shouldn't have done! ;-)
JohnnyGuitar

Return to Art Reviews