On being barred on Facebook

On being barred on Facebook

Postby CAP » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:56 am

I never really get how this works: since 'a friend' can pick up or 'share' an entry or comment with other friends, so that you can comment on the entry, even if it doesn't originate with your 'friend' - only their sharing of an unshared friend, so to speak. That would be fine if the entry then became the property of the friend sharing, but apparently not.

Anyway I was firing off a few home truths about certain artists, that clearly the unshared friend (the originator of the entry) didn't appreciate - or more likely - a couple of other contributing commenters clearly didn't agree with (not my friends, nor I theirs) and I ended up getting barred from the thread - although informed on their responses. I'm used to this happening on blogs, and it's worth it to wind up a few snotty critics and their retinue, but on FB basically I'm baffled as to who holds the authority in these cases. The friend that 'shared' this item clearly hasn't de-friended me - as far as I can see - and since my comments were explicitly addressed to them on the thread - I fail to see why someone else gets to choose.

I use a different tag on FB and mostly as a platform for political rants - where things are much livelier and yet more tolerant! - so this is not a big deal really. Just saying...

:roll:
Last edited by CAP on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAP

Re: On being barred on Facebook

Postby jasperjoffe » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:39 am

facebook setting are peculiar and hard to find..
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Postby Corr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:08 pm

HI CAP, naughty :lol:
If the thread was on a mutual friends profile, say under a picture or link or status update, the mutual friend has changed their settings so that 'only friends' can see what they post to their wall from now on, so you havnt really been barred, well, yes you sort of have from the mutual friends wall.

When someone on FB has left most of their account privacy setting open then when one of your friends comments on a link and such then you will see it in your feed. Sorry...am i saying things you already knew. Anyway...

x
c
Corr

Postby Corr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:09 pm

oh, Pardon me, Hello CAP, how are you? x
Corr

Postby CAP » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi Corr!
Thanks for clarifying. Although if my friemd has barred me from his wall, (which is probably the case) why not just 'defriend' me?
What would be the point of remaining 'friends' if not to share that much?
Maybe they just didn't think of that? Strange anyway, but no great loss in any case.
X
;)
CAP

Postby Corr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:46 pm

exactly, how silly. Never a good idea to take social networking to seriously.
Carry on commenting.
x
C
:lol:
Corr

Return to Life (regular updates on somebody's existence)