Too bad there isn't an equivalent of James Kalm in London

Too bad there isn't an equivalent of James Kalm in London

Postby CAP » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:11 am

Just been doing JK's weekend tour of Bushwick studios (the artist's quarter in Brooklyn NY). I'm always curious about what others are doing. Mostly, of course, the standards and interests are pretty much the same, all over. Some of the studio spaces are just gorgeous - but a bit expensive ($850 p/m) and the work is usually of a good standard - there are one or two wankfests, but mainly impressive. JK's posted 4 videos covering Bushwick's Open Studios weekend (my link is to No 2) and they're typically rough and ready. Not for nothing does he introduce them as "another half-assed production". The camera jolts and slides all over the place, but it does give you a glimpse of a huge bulk of shows. If you were ever in awe of the NYC scene, Kalm James (a.k.a. Loren Munk) will disabuse you.

It's a shame London doesn't have the equivalent of a James Kalm, doing the rounds of PVs and little galleries. Of course you have be sort of thick-skinned, if not brazen in just barging in with a little camcorder, risking being accosted or even bodily removed. I'm too much of a wall-flower. And James is never afraid to start asking gauche questions, even though you wish he hadn't - and then squirm while some young artist is put on the spot as JK's mike roams waywardly, barely catching one in five words...

This kills Vernissage or any of the other art previews on You Tube, and is a great demonstration of just what open source video can do.

:)
CAP

Re: Too bad there isn't an equivalent of James Kalm in Londo

Postby jasperjoffe » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:21 am

yeh, agreed. Liked that Gallery thing by cindy shermans boyfriend too... I will talk to some people, maybe we can do it here!
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Return to Art Links (useful or interesting art sites)