Art Holes

Art Holes

Postby Corr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Art Holes
http://artholes.com/

Still in its testing stage but I like it. All painting. All the time.
Corr

Re: Art Holes

Postby CAP » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:01 am

It’s an interesting mix – some quite well-known artists in there, like Ackermann or Essenhigh, some I’d seen before, like Wiesenfeld and Schulnik on other sites, (like Chicago Painting and the Columbian site, Apuntes Criticos, even if I can’t always be bothered google translating the Spanish, the selections there are consistently interesting).

Anyway I went through them all – not to each artist’s website - but the Art Hole page for each. Although, the site is structured so that each time you open it, it assembles a random selection of artists for its ‘holes’ – making it hard to find the same artist on successive visits. Still, web-designers, eh? That sort of trick really tickles them…

(Art Hole, incidentally, not to be confused with the Brit art student site, Artshole.co.uk)

I guess, of the hitherto unknowns, the one that appealed to me most was Brazilian-born, France-based Juliano Caldeira. Something about the Bad Leipzig School/private psychodrama-allegory of – The Meeting (2009) 62 X 194 cm oil/canvas amused me.

:) And what is that weird mauve line across the lower third of the picture?

Elsewhere, the whole mythical animal/personification trope is definitely current, definitely a Gen-Y trait – loads of it around on the margins, as evidenced at Art Hole.

But the site administrator, Syd Woom states frankly that his thing is more the private, mystical tip, so one can only conclude Syd is in step with a certain generational zeitgeist, either in years or spirit. Some of it is pretty clunky - like the German lady doing straight Illustrator files (.ai) of generic fields/huts. So not ‘all painting’, Corr.

But as Corr said, Art Hole is a work in progress, and Syd updates or replaces his selection regularly.
Attachments
juliano caldeira_interzone.jpg
See what I mean about the beasty metaphor thing? - This one's called Interzone, I think
juliano caldeira_interzone.jpg (124.55 KiB) Viewed 10827 times
Last edited by CAP on Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAP

Postby jasperjoffe » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:01 pm

clicking on the holes is fun
jasperjoffe
Site Admin

Postby Corr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:03 pm

oops pardon me :oops:
x
Corr

Return to Art Links (useful or interesting art sites)